Julia G. Cates is a mixed media artist based in Silver Spring, Maryland. She strives for strong craftsmanship in her meticulously detailed collages and assemblages, creating structure and finding beauty in unusual materials. She reclaims and incorporates items such as stray boxes and metal objects, painted paper, beads, sticks, stones, bones, and all the humble odds and ends that tumble around in our lives. These collages and assemblages take time to develop, with layers and objects deposited slowly, growing like coral reefs. Julia has exhibited her work locally, regionally, and internationally since 1986.
2010 Skylight Studios (featured artist); Charlottesville, Virginia
2009 Cates Fine Art Home Show (solo); Silver Spring, Maryland
2006 Benefit Show for The Black Women’s Agenda, Inc.; Upstairs on 7th, Washington, DC
2006 Women Artists’ Forum Juried Exhibition; Antreasian Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland
2006 Juried Spring Exhibition; Antreasian Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland
2003 Mini-Collages Virtual Exhibition (solo)
2003 Baker’s Dozen Collage Exhibition: Subtaranian Gallery, New Zealand; International Museum of Collage, Assemblage and Construction, Mexico; and Artcolle Museum and Gallery, France
2003 Recent Landscape Paintings (solo exhibition); The Lutheran Center, Baltimore, Maryland
2000 Intimacies, Mixed Media Works (solo exhibition); Spiral Flight, Washington, D.C.
2000 International Artists’ Support Group Show; City Hall Courtyard Galleries, Baltimore, Maryland
2000 National Collage Society Member Show; Cuyahoga Valley Art Center, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
2000 Fifth International Juried All Media Works Exhibit; Eklektikos Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
1995 Juried Figures Exhibition; Willow Street Gallery, Takoma Park, Maryland.
1994 ArtStrokes (solo guest); Montgomery County Cable Television, Rockville, Maryland
1994 Montgomery County 18th Annual Juried Art Exhibition; Strathmore Hall, Bethesda, Maryland
1994 Dog Days Annual Juried Exhibition; Washington Center for Photography, Washington, D.C.
1993 Bibelot Gallery; Portland, Oregon
1991 Sheraton Washington Hotel, Mural Project; Washington, D.C.
1986 New Art Center Group Show; Fitch, Fox & Brown, Washington, D.C.
- Studio Assistant, Burwell Fine Art Studio, Highland Beach, Maryland, 2011 – 2013
- Administrator: National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1997 – 2003
- Intern, Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of Natural History, 1996 – 1997
- Administrator: Maryland College of Art and Design, 1991 – 1992
- Organizing Committee Member: Annual Montgomery County Juried Exhibition, 1991, 1992
- Coordinator: New Art Center group exhibitions and slide registry, 1986
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- 2003 University of Maryland, select business coursework
- 1996 – 1997 Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of Natural History, Intern
- 1984 – 2003 studio art courses: Corcoran School of Art; Maryland College of Art and Design
- 1981 B.A. in Anthropology and French, University of Missouri
WORK IN PUBLIC & CORPORATE COLLECTIONS
International Museum of Collage, Assemblage and Construction, Cuernavaca, Mexico
ArtColle Museum and Gallery, Sergines, France
Scarlett Place, Baltimore, Maryland